Re: Error reading pen drive

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looking at the tail end of dmesg moments after you've inserted a drive
> is an easy way to see where the system finds it.  And you don't need to
> be the root user to read that info.

Yeah I got it very easily.

> With fdisk, you have to be familiar with all your drives on the system,
> so you can tell apart the newly inserted one from the others.  That's
> probably not too hard to do with a single USB flash drive, but gets
> complex with multiple drives.

Yes.

>> ii) After that, I have to unmount it, using the command "umount
>> /dev/sdb" so that it could be formatted.

> Is that a question?

In fact it was a statement I was confused at and was confirming that I
have to do it because it is a must to unmount the pen-drive before
formatting, but I only didn't put a question mark at the end.

> vfat if you want to easily use the device on different computer systems,
> including different Linux systems where your (numerical) user ID isn't
> always the same on each system.

> ext3 if you want to keep the different permissions and ownerships per
> user, only intend to use it on Linux systems, or Windows systems where
> you've installed extra drivers to handle ext3.

Now really, I know the basic difference. So I must use "vfat".

>> iv) I guess it would be correct:

>> $ umount /dev/USBPARTITIONNAME

>> $ /sbin/mkdosfs -F 32 -n usbdisk /dev/USBPARTITIONNAME

>> Where, USBPARTITIONNAME is what I would be getting from query i)

> Looks right.  But don't take my word for it, read:  man mkdosfs

Sure, but I got these links from the page:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo#How_to_Format
--

Regards,
Parshwa Murdia