Re: Sendmail on a LAN - SOLVED

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 18:08 -0700, JD wrote:
> On 08/18/2010 04:20 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 15:52 -0700, JD wrote:
> >> Thanks to all who made important suggestions.
> >> It now works.
> > Adding SOLVED to the Subject kind of implies that you'll explain *how*
> > it was solved. That's the point.
> >
> > poc
> >
> Well, it was not just one thing, but of all the tweaks I had to do,
> only one turned out to be cruicial:
> I had to comment out one line in sendmail.mc:
>
> cd /etc/mail
>
> edit sendmail.mc
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> i.e. add dnl to the start of the line, and that comments it out:
>
> dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> The minor changes are the common sense things that most mail admins know:
>
> In sendmail.mc:
>
> MASQUERADE_AS(`the.domain.name.that.resolves.to.your.router's.public.ip.address')dnl
>
> You obtain one of these for free from dyndns.com
>
> Uncomment the line
>
> FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl  (i.e. remove the leading # sign and
> leading dnl)
>
> Uncomment the line
>
> FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
>
> Then
>
> ./make
>
> service sendmail restart
>
> There are other files that need administration, but that is out of the
> scope of this.
----
FTR... you don't actually have to './make' as just restarting sendmail
service (service sendmail restart) will actually compile the sendmail.mc
file for you.

I never saw any need/reason to masquerade outbound mail but it's fairly
benign.

As for instructing sendmail to listen for connections from other than
localhost, that's a really big detail.

Gave up on sendmail years ago in favor of postfix. Nothing actually
wrong with sendmail but postfix was easier to get advanced features
worked out.

Craig

believed to be clean.