Re: kernel crash

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:44:53 +1000
David <bouncingcats@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 18 August 2010 09:22, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> > If this line is for real:
> >  194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   116   253   000    Old_age
> > Always
> >  -       34
> >
> > Then your drive is running hotter than boiling water and has been
> > close to melting point of solder. In spite of that the error count
> > is fine, but holding your hand an inch or so from the drive should
> > tell you if this is that hot.
>
> Having rtfm, I think the values reported there are normalised values,
> not degrees Celsius.
>
> See
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/FAQ#Whyismydisktemperaturesreportedbysmartdas150Celsius
>
> and read 'man smartctl' under option -A

David, thanks for the link and yes, you are correct.

I have now modified my /etc/smartd.conf file and added -r 194 which
should make the temps get reported in raw format. ie degC.

/dev/sdb -a -d sat -H -r 194 -m root

sensors indicated the the CPU fan and the power supply rails are
monitored. Does anyone know if I can put something in smartd.conf to
get reports on them and if so what?

Thanks,
Steve
--