Re: kernel crash

Steve Blackwell wrote:

> This happened in the middle of the backup which started at 1:00am and finished (successfully) at 1:28am so perhaps the backup blocked the kjournald process but it didn't crash the computer because there are later messages in the backup log and the messages file.
>
> The last entry in the messages file is:
>
> Aug 17 02:03:55 steve smartd[2347]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], SMART Prefailure Attribute: 3 Spin_Up_Time changed from 167 to 168
> Aug 17 02:03:55 steve smartd[2347]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], SMART Usage
> Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 122 to 124
>
> Could a hard drive get shut down because it was getting too hot? What would be a normal temp for a hard drive that has just completed a backup? 124C seems really hot. The HD cooling fan had been  broken so I replaced it this past weekend but it doesn't seem to have helped. Too late? Permanent HD damage already done?
> Any other comments or suggestions?

If this line is for real:
  194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   116   253   000    Old_age   Always
  -       34

Then your drive is running hotter than boiling water and has been close to
melting point of solder. In spite of that the error count is fine, but holding
your hand an inch or so from the drive should tell you if this is that hot.

I start taking some action on fans and dust if a drive hits 45C, so your drive
is either way hot (probably) or reporting false bad news. That spin up time is
very long, even if that's 10ths of sec that's slow.

I would be sure that backup is good, and plan on replacing that drive sooner
rather than later. Tonight would probably be good...

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>