Re: savemail: cannot save rejected email anywhere

On 08/15/2010 04:40 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> The "From" address is:  root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> which makes sense since it is being run directly as a cron.hourly
> script.  I have added this whitelist_from_rcvd to
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.

whitelist_from_rcvd also requires the hostname of the sending system, as
recorded in the Received: header.  Take a look at one of the messages
that you've received to get this value.

>> Your other option is to simply not run SpamAssassin on messages that you
>> receive from hosts under your control, but since you haven't told us how
>> you run SA, I don't know how you'd do that.
>
> I had already tried to do that by adding this line to my
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf file:
>
> trusted_networks 192.168.6/24

That's not quite what I meant.  That still filters mail from your
internal hosts through spamassassin, but tells it to lower the message
scores from those hosts.  If that didn't work, you'd probably need to
snag one of the messages marked as SPAM, save the complete set of
headers to a file, and send it to the list.  Don't modify anything in
the headers.  Don't exclude any of the headers.  If you do, no one will
be able to tell you what your host wasn't affected by the
trusted_networks setting.

> and my mail server is on that network....  Do I need to do the same for
> 127.0.0.1?  (since the email is originating on the same system as the
> mail server?)

I'm not entirely sure, honestly.  If the message was submitted with
SMTP, you probably should.

> And, yes, I did state that spamassassin is running directly as a
> sendmail milter, but you neglected to quote that in your reply.

Yes, somehow I missed that.  Sorry. :)