Re: Evolution: get rid of Junk buttons?

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 02:08 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 09:49 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > But you get to repeat the entire process every time you update
> > Evolution. Despite requests dating back many years, there's still no
> > per-user interface customization in Evo.
>
> Yeah, annoying...  And one of the reasons I don't do too much
> customisation, and avoid KDE (the defaults always sucked, and it takes
> ages to get it to a point that it doesn't seriously annoy me).  Though,
> shouldn't this, also, be one of those files that gets the .rpmsave
> treatment?

If the change were system-wide, then conceivably yes. Per-user changes,
not so much.

Actually all Evo needs to do is include a hook to read a per-user config
XML file while starting up. Doesn't sound hard, but for some reason
no-one has got round to implementing it. If so, it might be case of the
best being enemy of the good, i.e. "it's too much work to implement
config dialogues for the UI, and making the user edit XML files doesn't
conform to the HIG standards, so tough luck". I'm speculating of course.

> Funny how almost anything requested as a change to Evolution is made
> years and years ago...

The operative word is "almost". Once in a while a good idea gets
through.

poc