Re: KMail mailing list

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> Are you thinking that it would send a post to a list of addresses in
>> your address book?
>
> Yes, that was exactly what I was thinking of.
> I think the term is used in KMail/Message to refer to
> an external mailing list like the fedora user list, as you say [below].
>
>> It would appear that you need to set up a folder as belonging to a
>> mailing list (e.g. the fedora user list), then that menu item does
>> something special when you're inside it.  I'd see what options you can
>> set for your message folders.
>
> I think what I am looking for belongs to KAddressBook.
> I've actually done this before on another laptop
> (I'm currently away from home, and using my second-best laptop).
> I set up a distribution list,
> and could add contacts to it.
> Then I could send email to the list -
> the email addresses were just concatenated in the To: header.
>
> But either I've forgotten how to do this,
> or the facility has been removed from the current KAddressBook.

I see now that I had indeed forgotten how to do this.
Inside KAddressBook one creates a new Group,
by going to File=>New=>New Group
giving the Group a name, say Foo, and clicking on OK.
Now Foo appears as an entry in the contacts list (under Name),
with a different icon to normal entries.

Double clicking on Foo opens a small window,
and one can add entries in this window.
The procedure is slightly non-intuitive, to my mind.
There is a blank entry which it is easy to miss.
One enters part of a name, say "B", here
and the contacts in the contact list starting with "B"
are listed.
You highlight the correct name, and click on OK,
and the contact is added to the group.

A new blank entry appears under this entry.
One clicks on this and fills it in similarly,
and in this way builds up the Group.
Finally one clicks on OK,
the window closes and the group with its entries
appears on the right-hand-side.

Now one can send email to those in the group
by giving the name Foo under To: in New Message.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net