Re: F-13 new wireless routers -

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Sunday, August 15, 2010 04:19:59 James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> JD wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, it is impossible to secure wireless. That's because the
>>> publicly available crypto systems being used were deliberately
>>> designed to be broken in real time by parties with very keen
>>> interest in such ability. The how of such methods of course remain
>>> in the sole domain of the keenly interested parties :)
>>>
>> If you own a Cray, you can do wonderous things (there is one at NSA and
>> one at the Russian equivalent.)
>>

> Yup, as we all know, the NSA is able to break into any encryption in
> existence. Except for skype, of course. :-)
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/12/nsa_offers_billions_for_skype_pwnage/

Simple answer:  ;-)

Of course, the NSA is supposed to be interested in US National
Security.  Thus, they cannot 'break' Skype, or face some real problems.

Breaking other encryption, however, is allowed, if it is used
exclusively in National <-> International traffic (US Code...)

Thus, the Cray can be and has been used to crack all sorts of
encryption.  However, early PGP models could not be easily broken by the
system and thus the call for key escrow by the U.S. Government.  Guess
they figured it out and now the call has been retracted  I have no
knowledge either way, this is just a guess.

James McKenzie