Re: an Offline yum upate

On Sun, 2010-08-08 at 11:38 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 08/08/10 11:27, mike lan wrote:
> > Hello
> >   I would like to update a machine offline after a f12 kde livecd
> > default install
> > i.e 200 mb or more of packages update
> > is there a way to save the "yum cache", the .drpm and stuff and copy
> > that onto on a newly f12 default install, to make update offline ?
> >

> > thanks
> >

> yum-plugin-local
>
> It will sae all the rpms into a local folder as a repo,
> which you could then possibly burn to a dvd?
>
> yum info  yum-plugin-local
> will give you some inf.

The other (more complex I guess) alternative is:

- put the rpms in any folder.

- run createrepo (see man createrepo for details) - this will create a
repodata dir in the folder.

- add a repo file to /etc/yum.repos.d/

- perform the update

- remove the repo file and rpms directory

I haven't used the yum plugin that Frank suggested. I'm pretty sure
it'll be easier. I hope you have network enough to install that one
package :P

--
Thanks!
Regards,