Re: HTML mail [was Re: FEL was Re: Hi]

suvayu ali wrote:
> On 8 August 2010 07:30, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> IOW, shouldn't the mail filter (generic one, I'm not talking specifically about
>> g's mail filter) check the actual contents of the message for html stuff, rather
>> than just blindly trust the message header?
>>

> I don't understand all this fuss about html email. On thunderbird I
> just choose "View >> Message Body as >> Plain Text". I think that
> corresponds to this variable in the config editor,
> "mailnews.display.prefer_plaintext;true". That strips out all html and
> displays the email in plain text, monospaced font. (On Gmail its even
> easier, just turn off rich text formatting!)

That is true, but HTML mail is a bandwidth waster.  I routinely get
messages with so much garbage in them that just delete them.  This is
what this filter does, dumps HTML mail before it even gets read.  We
need to remember that the standard of this mailing list is text/plain
ONLY.  That was set a long time ago.  And remember, there are still
folks out there paying by the byte for mail.

Time to drop this thread as we are getting nowhere with it.

James McKenzie