Re: Linksys WUSB600N ver. 2

  On 08/07/2010 05:58 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>   On 08/08/2010 08:51 AM, JD wrote:
>>    On 08/07/2010 03:56 PM, binarynut@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>>     fedora 13
>>>
>>> A Linksys  wireless WUSB600 ver. 2
>>>
>>> Does anyone know about a Driver for this device , in all wireless sites
>>> they say a ver.1 is supported but not ver. 2 ?
>> The  Linksys WUSB600N  driver is available in the unsupported
>> section of the vanilla kernel.
>> The chipset in the WUSB600N is the RalinkTech 2860, so the driver
>> is the rt2860.
>>
>> To try it (and I doubt very much it will work), you need to get the
>> source rpm
>> of your kernel version, and configure it manually (make xconfig) and
>> select the rt2860 from the "staging" drivers.
> That isn't quite accurate....
>
> One can install rt2860 and kmod-rt2860 packages from rpmfusion and cards
> based on that chipset should work just fine.   My HP system has that and
> I've had no problems with it.
>
> Ed
Hi Ed,
It's good to hear there is another person using the rt2860.
I just wonder when will the kernel dev team will finally fix
the rt2860 driver already in the staging drivers and make it
work.
What I have heard from some fedorans is that the current driver
source does not comply with the way linux wireless drivers are
designed to make use of the 802.11 stack. So, they have been
hacking at it for many months and still not working driver.

The driver which you are getting from RPMFUSION is not a "blessed"
linux driver - it is the same driver on the ralinktech.com web page.
All you have to do is getthe sources for the rpms you mention and
unpack them to see that the driver in the source package is
2010_01_29_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.3.0.0.tar.bz2
which is from the ralinktech.com web site.

Cheers,

JD