Re: F-13 new wireless routers -

  On 08/07/2010 12:32 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>      And the newer devices have "internal" antennas, no connector to even
>      try a gain antenna of any kind. Just try different orientations for
>      best signal strength. I do have a camera feeding another Buffalo
>      ethernet adapter, 2.4 gHz only, perhaps 100 feet away from the
>      router that works marginally. The router and the adapter must be
>      positioned carefully but the slow data rate limits me to 3 frames
>      per sec. or less. Performance is degraded where the distances cause
>      weaker signals.
>
>      Yes, the problems I cited were all through interior uninsulated
>      frame walls, and this place is certainly not earthquake proof, we
>      went through one hurricane and it creaked like it was coming apart.
>
>      Thanks for your observations.
>
>      Bob

Well, what I did for my notebook is this:
I bought a long u.fl cable, with a male rp-sma
connector on the other end, and bought an external
antenna (all this from ebay - so it was indeed very
inexpensive to do).
The external antenna is about 13 inches long.
I connected the cable to my wifi card (u.fl snap-on connector)
and the other end to the antenna.
Repositioning the antenna does not seem to help either.
But as I said, it offers no panacea at all.
Re-positioning the router is rather difficult because
there are 4 ethernet devices
connected to it and so I cannot move it around that much.