Re: Menu Editor

 On 08/03/2010 08:50 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
>> The colors can be changed see what does the following do:
>>
>> xterm -display :0 -bg black -fg white \
>>
>> and you can invert it the other way and find one setting that you are
>> happy with :)
> Thanks for your response.
>
> But if I give this command in the black window (on the remote machine)
> I get
> [tim@althea ~]$ xterm -display :0 -bg black -fg white
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0
> xterm:  DISPLAY is not set
That is the expected result.

You are running "xterm" on the remote machine and the -display :0
parameter is instructing it to open an xterm on the remote machine.  The
message is indicating that "X" isn't running on the remote machine.  If
it were, and if the X server was configure to allow connections, the
command would have appeared to hang as an xterm window would be open on
the remote machine.  (I'm guessing you aren't in physical proximity to
the remote machine.)

> Adding "-display :0 -bg black -fg white" to Terminal options
> does not seem to have any effect, nor does "-bg black -fg white".

I still would verify exactly what terminal program is being started on
the local machine.  You can't do this in the terminal that the menu item
starts since you've ssh'd to the remote machine.

You will have to open a konsole or gnome terminal on the local
machine....run the menu item...and then check to see if you have an
xterm running....or something else.

Ed

--
wrong polarity of neutron flow 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段