Re: LVMs and "Real" Partitions (was Re: Preupgrade F11 ---> F12 ?)

Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Tue, 7/27/10, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
>>> [snip]
>>> I never could see any advantage to LVMs (over "real"
>> partitions) other than being able to resize them while they
>> are mounted.
>> They do make it easy to move stuff to new hardware, that
>> can be important as a
>> time saving if you have to do it often.
>
> Easier than using cp or dd or rsync, etc.?  How much easier can it get?

Having done moves, way easier. Even I think it's easier, and I use a more manual
toolset such as you mentioned. But a single command to move an LV from one PV to
another PV, without editing boot scripts and such really is as simple as it can get.

> I guess it all depends on what you're accustomed to.

The process of creating a partition, creating the filesystem, moving the data,
and changing at least fstab and maybe grub.conf has a lot more steps, and
usually requires editing config files as well. I trust I'll never be doing that
so often I get accustomed to it, it usually means either bad initial
configuration or hardware problems. Note usually in that.

I just don't like one more layer I have to trust, although I really haven't had
trouble with it in some years on other people's systems.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>