Re: empathy connect to msn (hotmail)

On 29/07/10 12:54, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 07/28/2010 08:49 PM, L wrote:
>

>>> Hi Your home network will be using Nat and perhaps this is not working
>>> correctly.  You could manually set up a rule that forwards all incoming
>>> traffic on port 1863 to your machines internal ip address:1863 and see
>>> if that helps. :)
>>>

>> thanks, Yes, the adsl use NAT.
>>
>    This makes zero sense to me ... if pidgin connects and empathy cannot
> it is a problem with empathy and/or its config.
>
>    And why on earth would anyone advise to open up your firewall ? That
> is never the correct answer ... please look elsewehere.
>
>    gene

It depends how the software works as to whether NAT on most routers will
work correctly ie in most cases if the client makes the out going
connection to in this case the msn server then NAT will work correctly.
On the other hand if the client is just listening for incoming
connections often it will not work unless you make your router aware of it.

I agree that in most cases you shouldn't open up your firewall, but in
this cases the choice many be open the firewall or use different software.