securing a fedora 12 pc on a lan

mike lan <lan.mike88 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > the fact is I don't like being spied on my desktop ,
> I mean "looking at my dekstop" on the other room, or installin some rootkits
to gain access to the pc on my behalf.

Mike,
we are all concerned about privacy, hackers, etc.
But if you are in a corporate environment, please understand the position of
the sys admin (if if she may be a moron ...). She is responsible for the net.
Do you understand what is on that net ? Accounting ? Sales ? Atomic bomb lab ?
Will you have access to Internet from within the lan ? Will the sys admin let
you out ? Do you want to risk "digging a tunnel" to fool him ?
You should openly ask him if you can plug in your pc. You will have to obtain
an IP address on that lan, manually or dynamically (DHCP) - with or without
sys admin knowledge ?
Get an OK from him first.
Then learn about desktop security - Fedora has a nice gui firewall, just accept
the defaults (but check off SSH service port) and you are safe.
There are some additional steps you can take - just read a Red Hat manual on
security.
JB