Re: Anything for home user and not the technical one??

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday, July 23, 2010 16:44:56 Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>> In all honesty, for normal desktop use, the only "hoop" Parshwa should
>> need to jump through is to setup RPM Fusion on the system[1].
>
> And install flash plugin in firefox. And skype. And googleearth. And maybe kmod-
> nvidia, if he needs it. And wine, if he wants to play some windows games. And
> VirtualBox, if he really needs true windows environment for something.

All things he'd have to do in Windows.  And Firefox will direct you to
the Flash installation download and instructions page at Adobe the
first time you encounter some Flash.  And by "do in Windows" I mean
"go to the website the offers the software, download it, and install
it according to the provided directions."  You think Google Earth and
Skype come preinstalled on Windows?  They sure don't.

> And all multimedia stuff --- mplayer, VLC, xine, various good/bad/ugly codecs,
> mp3 support, etc., from the two rpmfusion repos.

Codec support is automatic if you have RPM Fusion installed (it's
probably automatic if you don't, but the system isn't going to find
the encumbered ones without it).

>> Then,
>> when his wife or kids visit some media serving website, or try to
>> listen to their iTunes music in Rhythmbox, the system will prompt them
>> to click 'OK" a bunch of times to automatically install the correct
>> codec support.
>
> And to provide root password a bunch of times. :-)

Touche.

> But seriously, did I miss something here? Since when is that automatic? I
> thought Fedora was forbidden to even point a link to a website with non-
> free/patent-encumbered things, let alone automatically prompt you to install
> them from rpmfusion?! Did something change in that respect lately?

You missed that once RPM Fusion is configured it's a valid source for
the system to draw codecs from.  If you try to play an mp3, the system
will prompt you, saying it can't, and would you like to install
support?  You click yes, it finds what's needed in RPM Fusion, and you
click Install.

> Really, in order to provide equivalent functionality of a typical Windows
> desktop, Fedora requires more than one hoop to jump through. A novice user is
> maybe better off installing Omega instead, if he doesn't want to bother with
> this stuff.

Other than finding the HOWTO for RPM Fusion, I've not had to jump
through any other hoops to have mp3, AAC, WMV, m4a, mp4 and Flash
support.  Granted, I had to follow the directions Adobe provided to
install Flash, but I was led there by Firefox, no need to Google
anything.

But perhaps you're right, this Fedora thing really sucks.

--
Chris