Re: OT: Cloud Computing is coming to ...

On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 23:31 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 22:14 -0700, JD wrote:

> > > I've personally deployed Tier 1 databases - Oracle RAC in all of its
> > > glory - on cloud infrastructure. Our RAC nodes outperformed their
> > > physical counterparts in benchmark testing. And they did it with better
> > > availability and redundancy built in.
> > >
> > I would be interested in seeing independently published benchmarking
> > results and not in-house benchmarking done by the devs of the installation.
>
> The benchmarking was done by the client, and is being independently
> verified. It will be eventually published for public consumption as well
> - most likely around the end of August or so. Remind me and I'll send
> you a copy.

Almost forgot. Have a look at:
http://www.vmware.com/solutions/business-critical-apps/exchange/

...It turns out the the current performance record for a little
enterprise application called Microsoft Exchange is done on VMware
vSphere, which just happens to be the leading platform supporting cloud
based infrastructure today.

Yes - Exchange runs faster on cloud infrastructure than it does on
running directly on physical hardware. I've benchmarked similar using
Phoronix benchmark suite. Because of how things can get optimized, such
performance increases are actually fairly common.