Re: OT: Cloud Computing is coming to ...

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 08:26 -0700, JD wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 08:12 AM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 07:46 -0700, JD wrote:
> >> On 07/21/2010 12:55 AM, Les wrote:
> > <snip...>

> >> You forgot to mention the large management bureaucracy they will create
> >> around cloud systems which will cost 10 to 100 times the cost of the
> >> machines. I do not call that smart use  or efficient use of money.
> > Cloud environments are not dumb terminal solutions, and when properly
> > built and managed, easily achieve "5 nines" availability. Technology
> > advances / changes do not require additions in bureaucracy, and one does
> > not drive the other.
> Dejavu...
> Where have I hear this before?

...Why, I'm not sure where you have. Do tell.

In the meantime, satiric remarks not substantiated with fact don't mean
much. I've been an IT consultant in the Fortune 500 world for over 20
years, and have yet to see a situation where extra bureaucracy in IT was
driven by technology or vice versa. It was always driven by ...shall we
say... people issues. And more often than not, those people issue got in
the way of the technology being able to do what it was designed to do.

Most system outages can be traced back to "ID Ten T" issues, either in
the original operation of a system or in the response to a technical
problem.

“If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed,
if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.”

--Mark Twain