Re: OT: Cloud Computing is coming to ...

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 07:46 -0700, JD wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 12:55 AM, Les wrote:
<snip...>
> > I watched a very good company have a big breakdown when their old server
> > system with dumb terminals went down.  The costs, and impacts nearly put
> > them out of business.  If they had been smaller it would have.
> >
> > I have no doubt that companies will embrace the cloud.  At least until
> > it all comes crashing down around their ears.  PC's became dominant
> > precisely because centralized solutions were an inhibiting factor on
> > business, and personal schedules.  Some lessons are too soon forgotten.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Les H
> >
> You forgot to mention the large management bureaucracy they will create
> around cloud systems which will cost 10 to 100 times the cost of the
> machines. I do not call that smart use  or efficient use of money.

Cloud environments are not dumb terminal solutions, and when properly
built and managed, easily achieve "5 nines" availability. Technology
advances / changes do not require additions in bureaucracy, and one does
not drive the other.

The clients I have deployed these kinds of environments for have saved
millions - including being able to reduce the amount of staff needed to
administer them. The portals we build for these private cloud
environments are self-service, so if anything, bureaucracy is
eliminated. I work with our clients to constantly streamline their
operations processes as a part of delivering these solutions. The KISS
principle just makes things work better.

...But both of you are making my point for me, actually. Lots of
assumptions and non-existent "what if" additions that boil down to a
lack of understanding of what these environments are really about and
what they really do, combined with a resistance to change based on that
misunderstanding.

Now, that said, cloud environments (private, public, or hybrid) are NOT
for all applications or situations. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of VDI
(Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) solutions running on cloud
infrastructure, save perhaps as a replacement for an existing dumb
terminal solution such as a call center application or an airline
reservations system. In my company, we architect and deploy cloud
infrastructure as a part of an overall bigger solution and methodology
that we call Dynamic IT Infrastructure. But that's another story.

Cheers,

Chris

PS: Standard Disclaimer - The above reflects my own opinions and not
necessarily those of my employer.