Re: how to uninstall preload?

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 5:32 PM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 20 July 2010 15:21, Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So Adalbert's "rpm -e preload" advice is good advice.

It's not wrong advice, but it's not "good" advice, either.

> The package state is kept entirely in the rpm database - it is safe, as
> far as the database integrity goes, to mix use of rpm and yum as suits
> your needs.

Please look at my response to Rudolf's post with reasons behind my statement.

Suvayu is correct.  Mixing use of yum and rpm is discouraged for a reason.  If you want to use all the features of yum (at all) then you should be using yum for everything.  The yum database needs to be aware of every package transaction in order to provide all the value-add it has to offer.  If you're using rpm, you're cutting yum out of the loop and changing the state of the system outside of yum's ability to record what you're doing.

Yes, the package state is kept entirely in the rpm database, however, the rpm database does not contain records of transactions performed on that database.

To repeat:
http://illiterat.livejournal.com/7834.html

--
Chris