Re: XPCOM

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 08:39:54 -0500
> From: "Smith, Herb" <herb.smith@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: XPCOM
> To: Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > Smith, Herb <herb.smith <at> boeing.com>
> writes:
> >

> > > Hi all...
> > >
> > > Over the weekend I updated my FC12 installation
> on my Dell Inspiron laptop to
> > FC13.  All seemed to go
> > > flawlessly with one exception.  When I try
> to launch Firefox it gives me the
> > following message:
> > >
> > > Cannot Load XPCOM.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any idea what that's all about
> and how it can be fixed?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Herb
> > >
> > Hi,
> > On my system F13 32-bit):
> > # yum list xulrunner*
> > Installed Packages
> > xulrunner.i686
>
> 1.9.2.4-1.fc13
>         @updates
> >
> > #rpm -ql xulrunner |grep -i xpcom
> > /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/libxpcom.so
> > /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm
> > /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/regxpcom
> >
> > If not installed, do it now.
> > # yum install xulrunner
> > JB
> >

> I checked it out and here's what I found:
>

> # yum list xulrunner*
> Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
> rpmfusion-free-updates
>
>          | 2.8 kB
>    00:00
> Not using downloaded repomd.xml because it is older than
> what we have:
>    Current   : Tue Jul 13
> 00:47:45 2010
>    Downloaded: Thu Jul  8 16:35:01
> 2010
> rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
>
>       | 2.8 kB     00:00
> updates/metalink

> 17 kB     00:00
> Installed Packages
> xulrunner.i686
>

> 1.9.2.4-1.fc13
>
>          @updates
> xulrunner-devel.i686
>

> 1.9.2.4-1.fc13
>
>          @updates
> Available Packages
> xulrunner-python.i686
>

> 1.9.2-2.20100111hg.fc13
>
>   fedora
> xulrunner-python-devel.i686
>

> 1.9.2-2.20100111hg.fc13
>
>   fedora
> #
> # rpm -ql xulrunner | grep -i xpcom
> /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/libxpcom.so
> /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm
> /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2/regxpcom
>
> So, that would seem to be in order.
>
> I stumbled upon an interesting twist here, however.
> The desktop launcher command was:  /usr/bin/firefox,
> which gave the offending response that XPCOM could not be
> loaded.  I noticed that the command on the browser
> [...]

I have had the same problem in fc12 for a couple of months. It started after a yum update that changed quite a few programs. I fought it for several weeks, with help from some people on this list, to no avail. I finally got an rpm package from Firefox and installed it in my home directory. That works OK but I have to use a link on my desktop to start firefox. I find it really baffling. I had two fedora partitions on the same hard drive. they should have been identical. one had the problem the other didn't. I still use the one with the problem. Today I did a yum install firefox and  tried your fix for the launcher command and it doesn't work. I still get "couldn't load XPCOM"
 I intend to give up again. There appears to be a system of scripts that start firefox. The usr/bin/firefox script says that it starts mozilla. Then I get lost because I can't follow the scripts. I can't understand why I get the problem and nobody else - but you - seems to get it.
  OH well it is time for me to upgrade that partition to fc13. Maybe that will fix it. I intend to use preupgrade.
 Sorry I can't be any help. Good luck.