Re: Jobs in Cloud Computing

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 22:18 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 20 July 2010 21:49, JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  On 07/20/2010 01:34 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:

> >> Now it is all clear. Cloud computing is a sales gimmick.
> >>
> >> I bet it is almost as meaningful a term at .Net :-).
> > Maybe so, but this is how biznizmen try to stay
> > in the game. Most well educated computer scientists
> > will probably find this to be a hollow and vaccuous
> > solution which will sprout a plethora of problems which
> > in turn will sprout a plethora of solutions to problems
> > caused by  the originial soultion ....ad infinitum.
> > Soon, you will see colleges offering courses in cloud
> > computing.
> >
> > I kept wondering: What solution(s) does cloud computing
> > offer that 10gigE clusters do not?
> >

> Rapid scalability. Where I'm based we've been waiting for some time
> now for a few new machines for data processing to arrive, it would
> have been nice to just be able to increase capacity when we needed it
> (and they'll probably spend some of their time sitting idle when they
> do arrive). Presumably also if you have a good business idea then
> cloud computing means you can very quickly get it set up without a lot
> of overheads and investment in infrastructure. As you scale larger,
> and if you find you have constant demand on processing or storage, you
> might find it becomes more economical to maintain your own resources,
> but most of us don't run our own power plants or water treatment.

This is one aspect to be certain. Most organizations will tell you that
they were drawn to highly virtualized and cloud based infrastructure for
the potential savings gained by compressing the data center footprint
(reductions in power, cooling, etc.). But after using them, most
eventually will tell you that the number one benefit proved to be the
sheer agility of the environment, and being able to deploy and
re-configure systems almost at will without impacting underlying
hardware infrastructure.

Cheers,

Chris

--

"It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction.

--Mark Twain