Re: OT: Cloud Computing is coming to ...

On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 17:32:20 Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> Sorry I'm "late to the party" on this one. This (consulting, designing,
> deploying, and managing cloud environments) is what I do in my day job,
> so I'm regularly at ground zero of these and related issues. I drive a
> lot of thought leadership for my company in this area.

Say, since you have hands-on experience with this, would you mind helping me
understand the idea itself?

Specifically, assuming that I have my own hardware to set the whole thing up,
what is the difference between having a server (possibly virtualized), and
having a server "on the cloud"? And what is the main benefit of the latter over
the former?

If the server is running on your own hardware, it runs on your own hardware.
How does the idea of a "cloud" come about then, and why is it any better than
ordinary virtualized set of servers?

Best, :-)
Marko