Re: how to uninstall preload?

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 17:40 +0530, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> as I installed it with, yum, so I am guessing (but I don't
> know if it is always true), I should use the first command you give,
> that is,
>
> su -c 'yum -y remove preload'

yum is a front end for making rpm easier to use.  The database keeping a
record of what rpm packages are actually installed on your computer, is
managed by rpm (whether you install or remove packages using yum, rpm,
yumex, or several other front ends for rpm).

When manually adding or removing just a few packages, the command line
is probably going to be the quickest way for you to do so.  If you were
going to install lots of completely separate packages (e.g. such as you
were going to install a large number of games, by picking them from a
list which described what they were), then one of the GUI tools might be
more convenient.

The advantage of using a front end, rather than rpm directly, is when
you have to deal with dependencies.  When you use rpm, you have to
manually add the names of dependent packages to your install command
line.  But with the front ends, if you try to install a package that
needs other packages, the front end will also download and install the
other packages it needs.

Likewise, when removing packages.  It can take out the other associated
packages, too.

By the way, please REPLY to messages by using the "reply" function of
your mail client, NOT the "forward" feature.  You're breaking message
threading (where associated messages are placed together in a mail
client).  Not to mention that the quoting is messy to follow.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.