Re: Trying to understand input/output error seen while reading newly burned dvd+r

  On 07/19/2010 11:20 PM, D Wyatt wrote:
> Well, I'm no less confused, but ...
>
> Despite the fact that the first iso compared w/o error to the
> originating directory after being mounted, i went ahead and
> recreated the iso and burned another dvd+r from that.
>
> The new dvd now compares w/ no errors to the original directory.
>
> I hate apparent nondeterministic events!
>
> D Wyatt

Here's what you do to confirm that the burn is error free.

The original iso has SHA1 or MD5 sums on the website it
was downloaded from, right?

So, after you burn, then do this:

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=dvd.iso bs=2k

now, just compute the sum of dvd.iso and compare it to the original
sum posted on the web site.

What I also do to reduce the likelihood of a bad burn, is I reduce
the burn speed to 2x. Burning at 52X (cdr) or 22X (dvdr) will have
a higher likelihood of a bad burn. Some will say this is bunk. I say
I have proven it in practice.