Re: Can one now help?

On Saturday, July 17, 2010 21:18:47 Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> I have stuck in an awesome problem. Having fedora dual booted with windows,
> i edited the /etc/fstab and /etc/sysctl.conf files, but now my PC is not
> booting in fedora, it is only booting in windows, though it is showing the
> option to boot from fedora, but after selecting too, it seems as if it is
> booting from that but after some time, again it ends to the symbol of
> fedora which appears just before the user login page. While it boots from
> fedora, if i press, alt+tab buttons, it shows in a black screen that it
> cann't write pid, and some other comments like line 12 / 14 / 16 is bad of
> fstab. so what i do in this scenario?

Boot from the rescue/install CD/DVD, mount the root partition and revert to
the old fstab file from the backup.

> further the changes done in fstab are:
>
> [fedorax@localhost ~]$ su -c 'cp /etc/fstab
> /home/fedorax/Documents/fstab.backup'
> Password: <root pw>

Good idea.

> [fedorax@localhost ~]$ su -c 'gedit /etc/fstab'
> Password: <root pw>
>
> In the file popped up , where where the mount option says defaults append
> the text (giving a single character space just after wherever is written
> defaults):
>
> , noatime , nodiratime
>
> adding this line to whereever the defaults options was there.

Bad idea. Not sure how much the noatime and nodiratime options would speed up
your system, but I believe putting spaces in front is a really, really bad
idea.

If you read man fstab, it clearly says that the fourth field is a comma
separated list of options. Which means literally that --- separate options
with a comma, not with a comma and a space. A space or a tab is a delimiter
between fields, and the noatime option in your case ended up in the fifth field
of your fstab file. And the fstab file does not tolerate syntax errors.

> according to the link:
>
> http://digitizor.com/2009/01/31/fedora-speed-tweaks-make-fedora-faster/

Not judging this particular link, but in general I wouldn't trust some
arbitrary advice on speed tweaks before I was sure to understand exactly what
they will do to my system, and if the gain is worth the pain. Especially not
advice from a third party on some random website.

// Disclaimer: I didn't even bother to read the above site, so I'm not
claiming that the advice given there is bad. Just that one should never
blindly apply some set of instructions that might sound like a good idea,
without understanding what the consequences might be. //

> but unfortunately i cannot see now fstab because i am not able to login to
> fedora.
>
> Is there any possibility to go into the fedora via user login (root login
> already disabled by default)?

Learn to use rescue mode on the install CD/DVD, or use a Live CD or similar to
access the fstab file, and fix it or revert to the backup you made.

HTH, :-)
Marko