Re: How to corrdinate linux-ntfs, samba, and windoes domains?

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems to me when one sets up new ntfs partitions
> under linux, the users/permissions are set to Everybody
> (full permissions), root, and perhaps other users initially.
>
> What I haven't been able to figure out here, is how one
> can manage the ntfs ACLs on linux, and I am not even
> sure if, on the same computer, the preferred way to set
> ACLs on linux-based ntfs filesystems is done with a
> a multi-boot windoes OS.
>
> What is confusing is, what ACLs are used/seen by linux
> based ntfs, can linux ntfs see windoes set ACLs, and
> how is all of this coordinated with samba and windoes
> domain controllers?  Since my samba is not the authoritative
> domain server it should be using the windows authoritative
> domain server on my private LAN to obtain the ACLs?
> If the ACLs are obtained from the windoes domain servers,
> how can these ACLs be applied on linux-based ntfs filesystems?
>
> What I am trying to do is to synchronize all of my ntfs
> filesystems with common ACLs (users/permissions) so
> that my network shares will not be denied when properly set.
>
> All of this came up, when I tried to setup a Filezilla server
> on a windoes platform, with attempts to access the samba
> ntfs shares which does not work; the ftp server sees only
> the local filesystems, just not the network shares.

The following seems helpful:
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-advanced/extended-attributes/
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-advanced/ownership-and-permissions/

Also about your filezilla issue there is a note in the FAQ:
http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FAQ

It would take me effort to type "windoes" for every "windows" like
this (you missed one).  I somehow doubt this helps anyone who might
google "linux-ntfs samba windows" in the future.

--
Mauriat Miranda
http://www.mjmwired.net/linux