Re: F14 wallpapers, request for feedback and submissions

Hi Chris!

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 16:59 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> I've really enjoyed all of the default desktops from Fedora Core 1
> through Fedora 13, but I have to say that the default wallpaper chosen
> for Fedora 14 is something I'll have to change, it's simply too dark
> for my tastes.  Well, to be fair, I guess I didn't care so much for
> Core 3 and Core 4's, either.

Thanks for your feedback. I do want to make it very clear that the
images in the blog post you were pointed to are conceptual images, and
not even representative of the wallpaper that will be in Fedora 14
alpha. By the time we get to Fedora 14 final, the actual rendering may
look quite different - so we're looking for feedback on the concept
behind the artwork and the general styling.

> Another aspect of the new wallpaper that I'm not a fan of is that the
> design chosen is very jagged, sharp, and to me at least, distracting.

We've gotten other feedback pointing this out as well, so I think
perhaps we can modify it to tone it down a bit. Does the concept of
many-becoming-one appeal to you?

>  I also prefer desktops that are "flatter" looking (in a way I have a
> hard time describing, but the desktop of Core 5 is a good example).
> I've tried using the F14 selection on my F13 system and simply don't
> care for it.  I think it's great that there's a lot of thought going
> into the supplemental wallpapers.  I'm really liking the Oregano one!

Cool I'm glad you're liking the supplemental wallpapers. We're hoping to
offer more options to folks who don't like the default (although we
still want the default to be loved by as many Fedora users as we can
reach :) )

> To be clear, despite these criticisms, I've always felt the Fedora
> desktop experience to have a very professional feel to it, and that's
> the work of the design team.  I think you're all doing a really great
> job and keep in mind the adage that "you can't please everyone all of
> the time," even if the person with the complaint is me. :-)

Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words, Chris!

~m