Re: KPackageKit update failure [SOLVED - sort of]

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:38:03 -0700
JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   On 07/14/2010 07:44 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> >> Thomas,
> >>
> >> I'm not seeing Kate in the Fedora or RPM Fusion repositories.  Can you
> >> please outline how you got to this point?  From what you're describing
> >> here, there could be a problem with the repository you're trying to
> >> install the software from.
> >>
> > yum whatprovides *bin/kate
> >
> > tells you what package supplies kate.
>
> It is NOT part of fedora yet.
>
> http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Text-Editing-Processing/Others/Kate-2317.shtml
>
> The latest kdebase includes or perhaps next release will include kate.
>
> http://linux.softpedia.com/developer/Kate-developers-24331.html

When I switched into Gnome desktop, it downloaded Kate via "System > Admin > Get
Software" or something like that and from the stock repos.  Weird, Gnome
downloads KDE stuff better than KDE does. Something must be different in the
way they interface to PackageKit, or does Gnome use yum instead?  Never having
been a Gnome user I'm not sure about that.  Any comments?

Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin
openSuSE 11.3-RC2 x86_64