Re: Why does not update-grub detect Fedora 13 installation?

On 07/12/2010 11:39 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:42:01 -0700
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> /dev/sdc5 is an extended partition.
>
> I boot from extended partitions all the time. I've never
> noticed that the bios cared.

Directly from the BIOS or via an intermediary such as grub or lilo?
Most multi-OS users use some intermediary boot manager.  I don't
believe a BIOS can boot an extended partition unless the one in
question is the first partition inside the extended partition and the
extended partition has its "bootable" flag set.  Even then, I'm not
sure...haven't tried it in a LONG time.

In the OP's case, /dev/sdc5 would probably the first partition inside
the extended partition, so it might work.  I know grub can boot things
inside an extended partition, but I don't think the grub-update (or
whatever) utility checks extended partitions.  I could be wrong (and
often am :-)).