Re: hp-setup and samba printing to a Windows 7 machine

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 15:40 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I appreciate the clarification of what system-config-printer-applet
> does. It is running on my machine and it is producing I assume the error
> message:
> Printer 'HPLaserJ' : printer requires a binary plugin. run 'hp-setup'
>
> But I don't have a real clue what to do with this error message. Do you?

Does running 'hp-setup' not prompt you to install the plugin? (I don't
have one of these printers, so I can't test how it behaves myself.)
Otherwise there is an 'hp-plugin' command which I think does what you
need.

> However, I have made some progress. The printer driver supplied by s-c-t
> for The HP Laserjet 1020 is identified by the string:
> HP Laserjet 1020 hpcups 3.10.5 requires propriety pllugin
>
> it seems to me that proprietary plugin is not supplied by F13.

That's right.  It's a binary blob distributed by HP, which we don't have
the source for or right to distribute.

> Now in the past the printer driver that works is: foo2zjs . This driver
> has for at least 2 years has been available from:
> http://foo2js.rkkda.com

Unfortunately this driver is also problematic for shipping with Fedora.
There are patent-encumbered parts, which has the net result that there
is no entirely "Free" driver for this printer.

> Last year we discussed that the F12
> side was working but there is something we still don't understand on the
> Win 7 side. The print file shows up on the Win 7 side but does not print
> until the machine is rebooted and you are sitting at the Login screen.

I don't yet know how printing interacts between Fedora and Windows 7
other than from reports such as yours.  I do hope to get time to look at
it soon.

Tim.
*/