Re: hp-setup and samba printing to a Windows 7 machine

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 09:53 +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 13:24 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > F13 has hp 1020 as a device choice. The printed file appears in the
> > Windows 7 printer queue but no printing occurs. Instead I get the
> > following error:
> > Printer 'HPLaserJ' : printer requires a binary plugin. run 'hp-setup'
> >
> > I am mystified what to do. There is no man page for hp-setup and I can't
> > find any options to use to deal with this error.
>
> When hpcups encounters that error it is supposed to set a special 'state
> reason' on the queue, something like "hplip.plugin", and
> system-config-printer-applet translates that into a readable string from
> the PPD.
>
> But it sounds like you didn't get that message show on your screen.
> Maybe you aren't running system-config-printer-applet in your session?
> (It does run by default...)
>
> Anyway, there is an hp-plugin command that just downloads that
> proprietary plugin.
>
> Tim.
> */

Tim,
I appreciate the clarification of what system-config-printer-applet
does. It is running on my machine and it is producing I assume the error
message:
Printer 'HPLaserJ' : printer requires a binary plugin. run 'hp-setup'

But I don't have a real clue what to do with this error message. Do you?

However, I have made some progress. The printer driver supplied by s-c-t
for The HP Laserjet 1020 is identified by the string:
HP Laserjet 1020 hpcups 3.10.5 requires propriety pllugin

it seems to me that proprietary plugin is not supplied by F13.

Now in the past the printer driver that works is: foo2zjs . This driver
has for at least 2 years has been available from:
http://foo2js.rkkda.com

>From that site you can get source for the driver that can be compiled
and installed. It worked for me  with Win XP and and works sort of on
Windows 7. The sort of relates to the actual printing that I have yet
failed to completely get to work. Last year we discussed that the F12
side was working but there is something we still don't understand on the
Win 7 side. The print file shows up on the Win 7 side but does not print
until the machine is rebooted and you are sitting at the Login screen.

That is all I know from here. If you have some wisdom on the use of
hp-setup let me know.