Re: cannot boot from USB stick using boot.iso

  On 07/10/2010 07:15 PM, H.S. wrote:
> I want to install Fedora 13 on a computer which is currently running
> Debian (going to make it multiboot). I have downloaded boot.iso from
> Fedora 13 tree
> (http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/releases/13/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/boot.iso)
> and also Fedora-13-x86_64-netinst.iso
> (http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/releases/13/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-13-x86_64-netinst.iso)
>
> I burned boot.iso to my 256 MB USB stick using dd command:
> sudo dd if=Downloads/boot.iso  of=/dev/sdd
>
> and got the image contents in /dev/sdd1. However, the computer does not
> detect that USB stick as bootable (my motherboard can and does boot from
> a USB stick) and booted from hard disk.
>
> I then tried copying the contents of the iso image to a newly formatted
> ext3 filesystem on the USB stick:
> - using fdisk, created a new ext3 partition in the USB.
> - sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdd1
> - sudo mount -t ext3  /dev/sdd1 /tmp/fedora
> - sudo mount -o loop boot.iso  /tmp/img/
> - sudo cp -a /tmp/img/* /tmp/fedora/
>
> No luck, the computer still did not detect the USB as a bootable device
> and booted from the hard disk.
>
> In both the above cases, the boot flag for sdd1 or ON.
>
> I also copied the Fedora netinst.iso image to the USB stick and tried
> with that, no luck there either.
>
> What I am I doing wrong here?
>
> Thanks.
R U sure the iso is meant for an ext3 FS and not for a vfat FS?
I have installed the boot.iso on a 1GB flash, using:
sudo /usr/bin/livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr /tmp/boot.iso /dev/sde
and I was able to boot it in VirtualBox.

Of course you need to install livecd-tools-031-1.fc12.1.i686.rpm
in order to livecd-iso-to-disk

Have fun.