cannot boot from USB stick using boot.iso

I want to install Fedora 13 on a computer which is currently running
Debian (going to make it multiboot). I have downloaded boot.iso from
Fedora 13 tree
(http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/releases/13/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/boot.iso)
and also Fedora-13-x86_64-netinst.iso
(http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/fedora/linux/releases/13/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-13-x86_64-netinst.iso)

I burned boot.iso to my 256 MB USB stick using dd command:
sudo dd if=Downloads/boot.iso  of=/dev/sdd

and got the image contents in /dev/sdd1. However, the computer does not
detect that USB stick as bootable (my motherboard can and does boot from
a USB stick) and booted from hard disk.

I then tried copying the contents of the iso image to a newly formatted
ext3 filesystem on the USB stick:
- using fdisk, created a new ext3 partition in the USB.
- sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdd1
- sudo mount -t ext3  /dev/sdd1 /tmp/fedora
- sudo mount -o loop boot.iso  /tmp/img/
- sudo cp -a /tmp/img/* /tmp/fedora/

No luck, the computer still did not detect the USB as a bootable device
and booted from the hard disk.

In both the above cases, the boot flag for sdd1 or ON.

I also copied the Fedora netinst.iso image to the USB stick and tried
with that, no luck there either.

What I am I doing wrong here?

Thanks.

ever having been read.