Re: Problems when creating Live-boot usb stick

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:41:29 +0900
Abu Attar Musharih <abuattar.musharih@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
> It seems OK up to this point. The 8G is there. However, partitioning
> with /sbin/fdisk and reformatting with mke2fs did not gave  8G.
> > mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1 -L 8G-USB'
> The browser shows only 6.8 G free. I should probably format with FAT32
> OR perhaps the file browser of genome on FC7 failed to show the actual
> amount of free space.

Hi Abu:

The apparent size difference could be in how the sizes are calculated.  One
program may use the 1K = 1000 Bytes where the other may use 1K = 1024Bytes
which would result in the latter displaying a smaller size.  Also, if you use a
-h/-H switch (human readable format) the size approximation is frequently wrong.

Hope this helps explain the size disparity.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin
openSuSE 11.3-RC1 x86_64