Re: Fedora 13 live-cd doesn't boot on HP 6930p

  On 07/05/2010 11:04 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Brett wrote:
>>> I've noticed that if I burn a Fedora (or any other distro) CD at full
>>> speed, about 25% of the time I end up with a disk that won't boot.
>> I had a lot of trouble burning Fedora 13 DVD from a computer running Ubuntu, I tried a bunch of times using Brasero, K3B and other software, tried UNetBootin and usb-imagewriter, it would never work. Then I tried burning the disk from Windows 7 (on the same computer) and it worked first go. Maybe something on the Fedora 13 iso is not "liked" by other linux distros?
>>
> The problem with all of these tools is that they are not CD burners, they are
> user interfaces to the real tools. And they assume that what you want to burn is
> a *file* rather than an *image*, so they create an ISO9660 filesystem holding
> the file and burn that. Which doesn't work. If you care, try to mount the
> non-booting CD and see if it mounts as a filesystem with one big file in it.
>
> You also might want to install the real cdrecord program, actively maintained by
> the original author. Works far better for me, but you have to compile yourself.

Do you have wodim installed?
wodim-1.1.10-1.fc13.i686

install it and run it as root:

wodim -v dev=/dev/sr0 speed=4 (or whatever)  imagefile.iso

and sit back or take a long coffee break.

It WORKS!

Be happy! :)

PS:  ... I have found that burning at high speeds produces dvd's with
checksum errors.
        on my 8X dvd burner, I always burn DATA dvd's at 2X, but video
and audio at 8X.