Re: Help me troubleshoot this problem

On 07/07/2010 01:47 PM, Darr wrote:
>>> Question showing my ignorance of what acpi is. If pci=noacpi works
>>> or does not work, what clues is that giving me?
>>>

>> I didn't respond earlier because we've reached my level of ignorance
>> too.
>

> ACPI is the successor/combination of plug&  play, advanced
> power management, et al...
>
> If you have disabled ACPI and it did not make a difference, I
> would say the clue it's giving you is ACPI is not causing the error.
>

> APIC, on the other hand, has to do with interrupt timing. Do you
> see any options in your BIOS for enabling/disabling/changing
> APIC's slices or timing?
>
> Are you overclocking your RAM or CPU[s]?

Specifying apci=off in grub seems to have worked. Now I've booted with
pci=noacpi, and so far it seems to be working. I'll let it run overnight
with the X screensaver on to see if it cares to lock up. Then I'll try
the nolapic and noapic options. Then I'll figure out what to try next.

I looked in the BIOS but did not see any options for fine tuning timing
or slices. I'll look again next time I reboot. How should I manipulate
slices or timing if I find that capability? And no, I'm not
overclocking, at least not intentionally :).

Thanks for the questions. Please keep them coming.