Re: Help me troubleshoot this problem

---- JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   On 07/05/2010 06:44 PM, awrobinson-ml@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > ---- Rick Sewill<rsewill@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

> >> May I suggest looking at the URL:
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems
> >>
> >> It is where I would start when trying to debug Fedora panic/crash problems.

> >> setting kernel boot parameters to try to narrow the problem or work
> >> around the problem.
> >>
> >> For more information on kernel boot parameters, the web page says,
> >> "The full list of kernel options is in the file
> >> /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-<version>/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt,
> >> which is installed with the kernel-doc package"
> >>
> >> I assume one can find the correct kernel-parameters.txt file either
> >> looking in the local file system assuming Fedora is usable -or-
> >> searching the internet for "kernel-parameters.txt"
> >> If one finds it with an internet search, please make sure the
> >> kernel-parameters.txt more or less match the correct version of the
> >> Fedora kernel.
> >>
> >> Having said the above, if you suspect an acpi or apic problem,
> >> the URL: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems
> >> says,
> >> "acpi=off is a big hammer, and if that works, narrowing down by trying
> >> pci=noacpi instead may yield clues"
> >> It also says, "nolapic and noapic are sometimes useful"

A quick update. I tried the acpi=no option and so far, so good. I have even brought it back into X windows and ran some yum updates to apply some stress. I'll leave it in this state until tomorrow evening just to make sure. Then I'll try the smaller hammers.

Question showing my ignorance of what acpi is. If pci=noacpi works or does not work, what clues is that giving me?

Thanks!

Andrew