Re: Fedora 12 end-of-life and rolling our own Fedoras (Re: Fedora 11 End of Life)

> On 06/28/2010 02:38 PM, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@xxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:joel.rees@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>     I suppose eol includes the PPC distro?
>>
>>     which means I'm going to have to either start learning how to
>> roll my
>>     own Fedora now, or start getting ready to switch back to
>> openBSD on
>>     my PPC machines.
>>

>> Instead of abandoning Linux, have you considered keeping your life
>> simple by using a Linux distribution with PPC support?  Debian[1] has
>> supported PPC[2] for years.

Not talking about abandoning Linux or even Fedora. For the present,
my AMD box runs mostly Fedora. It runs a BSD every now and then, too,
depending on what I need or whether I have time to play around.

>> This isn't an advocacy post, I'm simply pointing out that there are
>> Linux based alternatives to the issue you're facing.

Yeah. But Fedora was the most up-to-date.

I suppose I don't have to the latest-greatest kernel to keep Firefox
updated with whatever security patches are necessary. And I suppose I
can learn to back-port the important OS security patches. But
avoiding all the build-and-tweak churn is most of the reason I
switched to Fedora from openBSD. (Mostly tweak on openBSD. Build is
not such a problem, but you always have to go hunting for the stuff
that goes in /etc for non-"standard" CPUs, keyboards, etc.)

I'm just trying to figure out how to have a portable that I can
safely surf the net with. I'm gold for six months, and I don't think
there will be any sudden serious problems with Firefox a month after
F14 is released. Keeping Firefox and Sylpheed up to date by direct
download (instead of through the Fedora packages) after that should
be possible for a little while, so I should have a year to keep using
F12 on this iBook, plus or minus.

By then, maybe I'll be able to afford an ARM-based lightweight, and
maybe somebody will actually be selling such things by then.

On Jun 28, 2010, at 11:47 PM, Athmane Madjoudj wrote:

> Give YDL[1] (Yellow Dog Linux) a try, it's basted on RHEL/CentOS
> (which
> are Fedora-based)
>
> [1] http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/
>
> HTH

Thanks for the thought. YDL seems to be rather behind the times at
this point, and it doesn't look like they intend to pick up the slack
now that they don't have to compete with Fedora. (Looking around in
the downloads, the installs are all a year old, and the updates don't
show anything since last September.)

Seems really odd to me that everyone seems to be abandoning PPC at
the same time. If it means they're putting resources into the ARM
stuff, that would be good.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

Joel Rees