Re: Sendmail: How does one blacklist annoying spammers?

On 06/27/2010 10:04 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> This one particular client doesn't use whitelists and they don't
> experience any delays in delivery from those domains simply because they
> have been populated in the DB and due to the frequency they connect
> those records don't expire.
>
> Oh, FWIW, there is no such thing as an "outbound MX host".  :-)

I believe that's what SPF is supposed to solve.  Sites advertise in
their DNS records which the "official" outgoing email servers are.  If
you get email from that domain which *didn't* go through one of those
servers, it must be SPAM (or a mis-configured source system, which I ran
into once, and had to convince them that they violated their own rules).

Not all systems support (or even recognize) SPF.  Some competing systems
have even sprung up by Microsoft and Yahoo (the old "not invented here,
therefore we must re-invent it" syndrome).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx