Re: Sendmail: How does one blacklist annoying spammers?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:06:31 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 14:54 -0700, JD wrote:
> > I wonder how Google does it. only .01% of my google email is spam.
> > The spam folder contains tons of spam, and it is automatically
> > purged by google.
>
> When you're a large mail host you have one big advantage in spam
> killing:  You will receive tons of identical messages, many addressed
> to bogus users, or honeypot addresses (addresses that you leak out,
> somehow, that aren't for real mail use).  When you receive large
> numbers of identical messages, especially to non-real addresses, you
> know that they're spam, and you can mark every single one of them as
> being spam with 100% confidence.  You don't need to check for false
> positives, as no real mail will be sent to such addresses.  Whereas
> it is possible for lots of users to receive identical mail, if you
> have lots of people subscribed to some popular lists.

My ISP (Qwest) uses the commercial version of hotmail as their mail
service for subscribers. In over a year, I don't remember seeing a
single spam email.  I suspect Tim's argument is the reason. Hotmail is
*known* for spam, so they would get lots of practice at recognizing it
and removing it, and thus become very skilled at it.