Re: How do I clone a drive and resize (downsize) a partition ? fdisk verify warning.

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 16:12 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> In Linux, "everything's a file." ;-)

Sure.

> No, dd won't "resize" a partition, but you can use it to copy the
> filesystem from one partition to another of the same size or larger,
> then just resize the filesystem using an appropriate tool.  I've done
> this.  Not that hard at all.

Agreed.  That tool would be gparted.  And if you use it to resize the
partition, you might as well use it to copy the data as well.   I too
thought that Clonezilla and/or dd would be the easiest.  In the end it
was gparted.  Prior to this I had never thought of gparted as a cloning
tool.

For those that aren't aware, gparted is VERY good at moving and resizing
partitions.

> > Or should I do an outright dd and then use gparted to
> > resize everything
> > afterward ?
>
> I would dd the filesystem on each partition separately for safety.  Not the whole drive.  Although, what you said above will work.

Actually, it didn't.  I'm not sure why and I don't have time to figure
out why.  I think you need to do something with the MBR too.

In short, my advice to anyone who needs to do this is to use gparted.