Re: How do I clone a drive and resize (downsize) a partition ? fdisk verify warning.

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 15:33 -0700, Kam Leo wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I found the easiest way to do this was to download a copy of Ubuntu 10.4
> > and use gparted.   It has a function to copy a partition from the source
> > drive to the destination drive.  Then I resized them.    It was a bit
> > slow and tedius, but it also worked flawlessly.  Sometimes no excitement
> > is good.
>
> The Clonezilla and Parted Magic distros have all the tools that you need.

I didn't try Parted Magic.

I find Clonezilla to be clumsy.  It throws an error and exits if you try
to downsize the partition as you copy it from the source to the
destination.

gparted was excellent once I figured out that I had to copy a partition
and paste it into an unallocated space before I resized it.  It would be
nice if you could do that in one step, but it does work doing it in two
steps.

I am running my cloned SSD drive right now.