Re: [OT] Serial Input Question

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 01:26:11PM -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
> I'm posting this to the list because I am hoping I can do this in linux not
> only for free, but also with greater functionality.
>
> I am looking at this software http://www.taltech.com/products/comfile.html to
> be able to read data off a serial input.
>
> I have a printer in my comm center that tracks our 911 calls. We are
> currently spewing the data to tractor fed paper and while not only jamming,
> it sometimes runs out of paper and people don't notice it for a while.
>
> I'd like to be able to read this data from the RS232 port, and have it write
> to a file. I'd like to be able to archive the data based on dates. I'm sure
> I can do this with cron.
>
> Is anyone else on the list capturing RS232 data, and logging it?
>
> Thanks.

In addition to the other suggestions people have already made, a few
years ago I would have remembered how to  use c-kermit to do this. I'm
sure it's easy to do, just don't remember. YOu can find it at the
kermit site at columbia university.

Or, looking at packages available in Fedora 13, I see something called
"logserial" described as"Package for logging incoming bytes on asynchronous
serial ports. It was written for logging calls on our telephone central,
but you can use it for any devices connected to serial ports."

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                         While we were still sinners,