Re: wifi access from laptop to starbucks wifi

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 07:06:40AM -0700, bruce wrote:
> hey guys....
>
> if you're using starbucks, or nay other public access, aren't you
> pretty much constrained to having to deal with an open network. or are
> you implying that you can implement an encrypted connection on the nic
> setup?

Yes, you are. Unless you have access to a (secure) VPN. If you do, then
just always be sure to start up your VPN connection first, before doing
anything else.  (note, by "secure", I explicitly exclude things like
PPTP which is known to be INsecure.)

While that would be expected to protect your traffic, your machine
will still be on an unprotected network, and therefore possibly a target
of more attackers/malware than when on your personal/home network.

---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------