Re: wifi access from laptop to starbucks wifi

On 06/21/2010 09:09 AM, Bill Davidsen was caught red-handed while writing::
> bruce wrote:
>
>> hey.
>>
>> looking at using the wifi at starbucks, given that it's going to be
>> free in july!
>>
>> i'm looking for detailed steps from anyone who's actually used a
>> public starbucks wifi access.
>>
>> my system is fedora, running network-setup. i don't have/use/want
>> networkmanager!
>>
>> so i'm looking for the actual steps to use using the cmd line functions.
>>
>> i've seen different sites, that have different processes, so i fugured
>> i'd turn to here.
>>

> Do make sure you figure out how to do a secure connect, unless you want to share
> with everyone there. I despise NM, but the CLI seems to change just a little
> with upgrades, public WiFi frequently has its own ideas of connect protocols,
> and life is short. Draw what conclusions you will from that, but be aware that
> CLI is a lot easier for wires than WiFi.

You will have to build a new entry in /etc/wpa_supplicant for the
Starbucks site.
Also, Bill Davidsen is correct re: lack of encryption on the Starbucks
wifi. You will be joining a lan with clients that will very likely be
running very malicious software to try and break into peers on the same
lan, not to mention that your traffic, because it is unencrypted, will
be visible to clients running software the eves-drops on your traffic
and captures your passwords and any "sesitive" web sites you might visit.
Also, WPA encryotion can be broken by a notebook PC in under 1 minute.
WPA (and WPA2) encryption that uses TKP can also be broken in under 1
minute. So far AES seems to be invulnerable (as far whatever has been
printed publicly). I would not be surprised that by the time it becomes
public incofrmation that AES is breakable, it will have been at least
a year of people breaking into AES encrypted wireless networks.
Perhaps thise in the know are aleady doing so. (A little paranoia is
very healthy for your system :) :) )

Cheers,

JD