Re: USB Printer Install help needed

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 12:39 +1000, Roger wrote:
> This seems to be a problem with USB Xerox printers in Fedora.
> I too have had the same problems since Fedora 9/10.
> Ubuntu just installed it without any effort on my part.

Roger, I think you are confusing two issues.  The OP was saying that
they did not see the USB device listed in the available devices screen.
As that is not usual I have asked for more information about that.

[...]
> Your computer should then find the printer and list it in the printers
> If you go to printer properties you should see the printer listed in the
> Device URI as something like this usb://FUJI%20XEROX/DocuPrint%20C2100
> which is my Device URI
> The printer should work

Yes, this is how it should work.

> Unfortunately Fedora do not provide a usb printer selection option so
> its gotta be done through the back door manually.

I really don't know what you mean by this.  Of course Fedora allows you
to select USB devices as printers.  I think you are confusing device
selection with driver selection.

As far as driver selection goes, the user interface provides an easy way
to use a downloaded PPD file directly: after selecting the device and
clicking Forward, select 'Provide PPD file' on the 'choose driver'
screen.

Tim.
*/