Re: USB Printer Install help needed

On 06/22/2010 01:32 AM, Smith, Herb wrote:

> [...]
This seems to be a problem with USB Xerox printers in Fedora.
I too have had the same problems since Fedora 9/10.
Ubuntu just installed it without any effort on my part.

You have to have system-config-printers, Foomatic, cups printers, etc
installed and you have to go to the Xerox site and get the appropriate
ppd file.
For my Fuji Xeros C2100 I needed .. PCL_DocuPrint-C2100.ppd.
It's a plain text file.

Install this in /usr/share/cups/model/
There are also pxlcolor.ppd, pxlmono.ppd, textonly.ppd in that directory.
In the <System><administration><Printers> select the parallel port
option so your printer is recognised by the computer.
Select "Provide ppd" option and navigate tho the ppd that you installed
as above.

Your computer should then find the printer and list it in the printers
If you go to printer properties you should see the printer listed in the
Device URI as something like this usb://FUJI%20XEROX/DocuPrint%20C2100
which is my Device URI
The printer should work

Unfortunately Fedora do not provide a usb printer selection option so
its gotta be done through the back door manually.
Hope this helps
Roger