Re: Thunderbird 3.1

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/19/2010 07:59 PM, Steven Stern wrote:
>> I see that Thunderbird 3.1 RC2 is in the rawhide repository.  When
>> Thunderbird 3.1 is release, will it become part of Fedora 13 or will it
>> be held until Fedora 14?
>>
>> It appears that 3.1 is faster and more reliable than 3.0.4.
>>

> Unlikely.  Newer versions of Mozilla apps typically require major new
> versions of XULRunner as well and since there are many apps  using
> XUlRunner,  Fedora typically does not update to a major version of
> Firefox or Thunderbird in a existing release.

Even though it may not be planned as a provided rpm for f13 it is
actually pretty easy to install Thunderbird 3.1 of any version
yourself and run it.

What you do is the following:
Make yourself a directory where you will hold the application - eg in
my case it is /opt/Local/vers/thunderbird/ but you can choose anywhere
you like.
Then download the tarball of the version you are interested in - for example:
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/3.1rc2/linux-i686/en-GB/thunderbird-3.1rc2.tar.bz2

As root cd to the storage directory you have chosen, and move the file
to the directory where you want to store it, and use the tar command
to uncompress the tarball.

Then you will have a directory such as in my case: /opt/Local/vers/thunderbird/
What I do is to rename that directory to one with the date appended so
the directory name is thunderbird-3.1-100619
Then I make a symlink to that calling it simply thunderbird by doing:
ln -s thunderbird-3.1-100619 thunderbird

So now /opt/Local/vers/thunderbird/thunderbird is a link to the
directory containing the files for this new version of Thunderbird.
The reason for doing this is that you can download newer versions and
keep the original directory - so later you may then have
thunderbird-3.1-100630 for example and then remove the link and relink
to the newer directory - the rest will then work without the need to
do any other changes - and if the newer version has a problem then
merely removing the link and remaking it to the original directory
will then get you back to where you were.

Then I create a standard script file that uses the application by
creating a file called thunderbird in /opt/Local/bin (but you could
put it anywhere you like)
That file contains:
#!/bin/sh
TDIR=/opt/Local/vers/thunderbird/thunderbird
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$TDIR
exec $TDIR/thunderbird

I make an icon on the desktop, of type application, that calls this
file as a command - i.e. the command is /opt/Local/bin/thunderbird

Make sure that you keep a copy of the your Thunderbird profile in
.thunderbird in your user area in case there are problems going from a
very old version of thunderbird to the new one.

Double click on the new icon and this new version of Thunderbird
should fire up and run.

I have been using the latest nightly versions of thunderbird 3.1 for a
very long time and it works without any problems for me.

I hope this helps.

--
mike c